Cali has been driving me crazy! This whole "not sleeping" thing that she is doing is going to be the death of me! Here's an example, this was our day yesterday:
8:30-woke up Cali
9:00-church, left after Sacrament meeting because she wouldn't stop whining
10:30-12:30-nap 1
2:30-4:30-nap 2
7:00-start the wind-down process
8:00-walk in park
9:00-bath, pj's, books
10:00-bed
12:30-woke up screaming
1:00-pooped, now fully awake
4:00-finally worn down and asleep
So I woke her up at 10 this morning to start over again. I have a book called "The no-cry sleep solution" that was giving us a lot of ideas, but I loaned it to a friend and now I really need to get it back. Before you leave a comment, I already know what you're all going to say, "Why don't you just let her cry herself to sleep?" Well, in response, it's because we're in a one-bedroom apartment so there's nowhere that I can go that I can't hear her cry and her crying gives me an anxiety attack. So, that's not really a possibility for us.
In other news, Cali is getting really good at signing. It's not exactly "pure" ASL, but she can sign: ball, shoe, dog, bath, phone, bed, airplane, book, "all done", water, flower, socks, bear, bird, cat, and baby. It's funny because she picks and choses what she will and won't sign. Like, she won't sign: milk, mom, dad, more, eat, bug, poop, or tree.
Well, that's all for now.
4 comments:
Great job with signing. I was never very consistent with teaching Lilly that. Hang in there with the sleeping situation. I hope it gets better soon.
i think the only thing i would say.. is that you need to cut one nap time short or out for a little while until she gets used to being exhausted at bedtime.. i have this same problem with all of my children. I have either pushed the second naptime to a very early time frame, or i have woken them up after only a 30 minute snoozer. which is not a bad thing. a 30 minute nap will not hurt her.. it will give her just enough to rest.. but leave her tired and ready to go to bed at 8 instead of your 10 time. Or..... i have also resorted o cutting it out completely until 7 ish and putting them to bed for the night. Its not a permanent thing... but may make her tired enough to sleep longer.
and i completely understand the "not letting her cry" thing.... i just cannot do it either!!!! even two floors down i can still "feel" them crying and the anxiety KILLS me!!!
hang in there.... eventually it will end!!! but youll be exhausted in the meanime!!!
All I have to say is I am soo sorry! No sleep for mom means long days of frustration... Hopefully you are able to get some sleep during the day time naps... Good luck!
I think the problem is her bedtime. She should not be going to bet that late. You should put her on a 7:30am- 8:00pm schedule. You shouldn’t have to shorten any naps, 2 hour naps are normal and healthy. The better a child naps during the day the better they should sleep at night. When a child that age is a wake for more then a 4- 4 ½ hours they start to get over tired and don’t wind down properly… and they also tend to wake up more during the night. Here is a sample schedule that a One year old should be on. As far as the crying goes; I believe that it is good for a child to learn to sooth themselves to sleep. All of my pediatricians say the same thing. If the crying bothers you try using a sound machine to block the noise. I am going through the same thing right now with my 6 month old. She wakes up about 4 times a night still. (Not normal) My solution was this: Cleaned out my walk-in closet and turned it into her room, decorated and all. I shut the door and I turn on my sound machine it mutes the noise pretty good. If you use ear plugs, with the sound machine you won’t be able to hear her. Just make sure that you check on her a few times during the night when she is not crying, for the first few nights. It sounds mean and it’s really painful to listen to you baby cry, however it will benefit you and her greatly if you suck it up for a few nights. She will be happier because she is sleeping better and you will be a better mother because you are sleeping better. If nothing else you need to at least get her to bed earlier.
7:30: wake up
9:45: nap
11:45: wake up
2:00 nap
4:00: wake up
7:00: start wind down
7:30-8:00 in bed
Post a Comment