So I went on Thursday to see my new high risk OB. He's down in Mission Hills, so my friend Anna took me since I can't drive myself. I called my friend and lactation consultant Terry to ask her opinion about him before I went. She had only good things to say about him, which helped ease my anxieties.
So we get down there and an hour after my appointment time, I get called back to give details about my pregnancy and hospital stay and what not. Whatever, they needed the info.
Anyway, I finally see the doctor. I tell him my situation and he says he's going to give me a new medication called Reglan or something that I can take every 4 hours in addition to the Zofran when I feel I need it. I told him I thought I'd be getting some kind of at home iv treatment or something since it's the only thing that really seems to help. He said he would love to do that for me, but my insurance doesn't cover it. So it would be $400/day for the iv and $100/day for the Zofran pump. Instead he's going to try to work with what we can and he encouraged me to go to the ER any time it gets to be too hard.
Needless to say, I'm disappointed. I really was hoping for some more aggressive treatments to help me feel human again. But I understand. I don't like the situation, but I'll make do with what I have. Besides, the insurance should cover the ER and hospital bill that will be coming.
3 comments:
Glad your insurance and doctor are working together for your best interest! :) Keep us posted on how everything goes. :)
A few other vitamins/herbs have shown promise with your diagnosis. Have you tried Ginger (1-1.5g q24hrs) or Vitamin B6? First line treatment is typically
1. pyridoxine (Vit B6) 25mg PO every 6-8hrs scheduled, if no improvement, then
2. Vit B6 + doxylamine 12.5mg PO q6-8hrs, if no improvement, then
3. B6 + doxylamine + phenergan 12.5-25mg PO or PRq4-6hrs, and lastly if no help with the above three stepwise approach, then
4. B6 + doxylamine + phenergan + Reglan 5-10mg PO q8hrs.
5. If the above doesn't work, IV fluids may be indicated.
Fluids with a good balance of water, salt, and sugar (Gatorade) are better tolerated than just water alone.
Also remember that Zofran, though it works really well, can also constipate you, so take stool softeners if needed. Thought I'd give you a few treatment options I have used with my patients that have worked. I wish you well. Chris.
Hey if you haven't tried the following approach with you doctors, this may be something to consider to minimize visits to the hospital. Some women have found success with Ginger 1-1.5g daily.
My approach with my patients is the following:
1. Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) 25mg PO q6-8hrs, if not resolved, then
2. Vitamin B6 + Doxylamine 12.5mg PO q6-8hrs, if not resolved, then
3. Vit B6 + Doxylamine + Phernergan (promethazine) 12.5-25mg PO or PR q4hrs
4. If insufficiently hydrated Vit B6 + Doxylamine + Phenergan + Reglan (metocloprimaide) 5-10mg PO q8hrs.
Zofran is good, but can constipate, so take stool softeners if needed. Good hydrating solutions have a good mix of salt, sugar, and water (Gatorade) than just water alone. Good luck. Your vomiting should subside before week 16 of pregnancy. Chris.
Post a Comment