There's these pins on Pinterest that boast about a family of four being able to buy all their groceries (toiletries, diapers, cleaning supplies, and paper products) for only $200/month.
I had never clicked on these pins because I knew a few things would be their "rules," such as:
"Don't be a brand snob," "Coupons, Coupons, Coupons," and "Don't splurge on things you don't need" I also assumed that they didn't live in Southern California and probably shopped at Aldi (which we don't have).
But, I was curious, so I clicked on this one:
http://www.parents.com/blogs/thrifty-frugal-mom/2012/05/03/must-read/4-things-i-do-to-keep-our-grocery-budget-at-200mo-for-a-family-of-four/?socsrc=pmmpin071012GroceryBudget
Ok, so this lady is a little too extreme if you ask me. Number one, "cheese is a luxury"??? Seriously?
Number two, who can find a jar of spaghetti sauce for 50 cents???
Number three, $2.00/lbs. (or less) of meat will only get you crappy meat
Yes, I'll admit, I'm a brand snob. I can taste the difference between Wal-Mart brand food and name brand food. That's something I accept about myself.
Also, I'm not into couponing. Something that's hard to afford is printer ink, so unless the coupons are mailed to me, I'm not going to go out of my way to get them.
Another thing with me is that I only like to shop at two stores for groceries: Ralph's and Wal-Mart. I won't buy fresh produce or frozen/refrigerated items from Wal-Mart. I've been there too many times to see things (like milk) in the "returns" carts when I walk into Wal-Mart and see them still sitting there when I leave. It's just something I'm not willing to risk. So I go to Ralph's for those things.
So it looks like I won't be getting my groceries down to $200/month. I guess I just like cheese too much. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment