I don't know how many people know about the "topless" photoshoot scandal with Miley Cyrus (AKA Hannah Montana). Personally, I didn't really care about it until I started reading some of the lame comments that people were leaving. Before I get into my venting session, I think you should see this infamous photograph:

This is from Vanity Fair (May edition, I think). As you can see, she is covering herself up in a sheet, and is showing her back. Why people are calling it the "topless" photo or even the "nude" photo, I'll never understand. Note: here's where my opinion starts...
Ok, I get that she's only 15 and this is supposed to be a "sexy" shot of her. I understand that some people would be offended with their child's "idol" or "role model" to be doing photoshoot like this. But, they're calling her "the next Britney Spears." Come on people! We're talking about Vanity Fair here! Most of the female models on Vanity Fair are coving themselves up with their hands only! This is Hollywood. This is what actors do. It's not like she's on the Maxim Magazine front cover in a thong and see-through tank top. (Examples below...)
If you were to get a 15-year-old, put her in a backless prom dress (like the one I put here), most peple wouldn't make a fuss. No big deal. It goes with the territory. But, you get a picture of Miley Cyrus in something backless-and the media flips. You wanna know what I think it is? I think it's because too many people have decided that they're going to make "Hannah Montana" their kids role model. They're going to make a 15-year-old actress take the place of the mothers. What happened to the days when you could look up to your mom and know that she spent her youth doing things that were right and that she could be your role model. When did we have to turn to Hollywood. Yes, Miley Cyrus has good morals. Isn't that something parents should be teaching and enforcing with their children anyway? Why do you need to get an actress to be the "poster child" of morals?
One more thing, if people have a problem with the fact that she's only wearing a sheet, she's showing "too much" skin, and that it's not "art" or "sexy"...
I beg to differ.



2 comments:
Well I don't know much about it, but here is what I know. Disney isn't happy about it and I think that since they have a contract with her and what she does can harm or help their reputation with parents everywhere. I agree that Hollywood and other places like that, isn't were I would want my Lilly to find a role model. It comes down to you as a parent and having the gospel in our lives will help. Which leaves the question "can we be in the world but not of the world?" It is a very hard thing to do with the technologies we have. Things we wouldn't want our children to see are plastered everywhere. One thing that has always helped me was what the angel told Mary when she asked how she could be with child "with God nothing is impossible." We can raise our children to be a righteous generation if we have faith and keep our covenants. And it may just be me but not having those kind a magazines in your home can set a good example. It may be impossible to keep your kids from coming into contact with things of that nature when not in your care, but we as parents can be a good example and have our homes a refuge from the world a place of peace for our children.
Well stated Esther. Amy, are the people in the last picture your parents?
Post a Comment