Things were going wonderfully with Cali's potty training. The only time she'd wear a diaper was to bed and she rarely had accidents anymore-even with poop. I thought things were going to great, I felt so blessed to have a child who was potty trained. All it took was chocolate chips to bribe her at the beginning, then she stopped asking for them. It was great. Then we had gotten Melatonin in liquid form for her, and she started sleeping. It was wonderful to be in bed by 10 and sleep until 8!
Then she started having accidents. She had a lot of accidents. One day, she went through 5 pairs of pants, panties, and socks before I gave up and put on a diaper. Must have been an off day. But the accidents kept happening. I upped the bribes, getting the little snack sized Oreos as a reward. We would have 7 false alarms in a row, just to have her pee once I stopped asking. I had no idea what was wrong.
And Cali would whine everytime she'd pee. She stopped sleeping through the night and would only sleep if I held her. I became a walking zombie. She stopped eating but would constantly be asking to eat. Her pee started smelling funny, so I made her drink more water to keep her from getting dehydrated. I thought, "she must be teething because she's driving me crazy!"
Then, my friend on facebook complained that she got a UTI while she's 8 months pregnant. A light bulb went on. I got onto google and looked up toddler urinary tract infection. Cali had most of the symptoms. So I called her doctor and went in.
After an hour of trying to get Cali to pee in the stupid cup, we waited for the results. I was hoping a nurse would come in and tell me that the results were normal and that we could go home. But, when the doctor came in, he told me that her test came back really dirty. Like she'd had the infection for a week or more. He also told me that if the test doesn't come back clean next week, we'd have to go in to have her kidneys checked. This is not the first time he's thought there was something wrong with her kidneys. (Apparently UTI's in toddlers are not unheard of, just uncommon)
When I told him about Cali's diaper rash, he told me that it wasn't a rash, it was a fungus. The infection was so bad, that when her pee would sit in her diaper, it made a fungus grow on her butt. So we got a prescription for antibiotics and for antifungal cream. I was also told to keep Cali naked most of the day, to keep the fungus from growing more.
Thankfully, Sean's aunt and uncle asked us to housesit for them until Thursday, so we're able to have Cali run around naked without her freezing (because our place doesn't have heating).
So that's what's going on in our lives. :)
2 comments:
Bummer to hear about Cali. I hope that she starts to feel better and gets back to sleep through the night. Also getting back to using the potty. I wish my kids would just use the potty..that would save us money on diapers.
I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope everything clears up soon, and all goes well with her next appointment.
Post a Comment