Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 5/30

A picture of your favorite memory: Finding out I was pregnant with Cali







I've always had an irregular period. And my mom miscarried before she got pregnant with me. So I thought for sure I'd have a hard time getting pregnant. And, if I did, it wouldn't last long.
When I was at BYU, I was taking an LDS Marriage and Families class. It got me thinking about marriage and kids. Wondering if it would ever happen to me. I was 19-years-old. How much older would I have to be before I could get married? Then I would wait a year for my husband and I to get to know eachother then we could start having kids. I had it all figured out.
Now, I don't remember what day this was. All I remember was, that night, I was praying and I got a prompting, "Don't wait to have kids." I wasn't dating anyone, I wasn't thinking about having kids. I was asking for help with a test I had coming up. So I kept praying, and I got it again, "Don't wait to have kids." Odd, but I stored the knowledge away for the future.
So, 4 years later, Sean and I get engaged. I tell him, "I don't want to wait to have kids." He says, "Ok, fine with me."
Three months into the marriage, I was a wreck. I was sure I should have been pregnant by now. What is wrong with me? I'd taken 11 pregnancy tests in 3 months, surely I am unable to have kids. Poor me, poor me.
I was so jealous when my sister announced her pregnancy on Christmas. Why couldn't it have been me? She'd been married for 3 years already and now she decides to get pregnant? It's because she knows we're trying. That's it, she's out to get me. She got married before me. Now she's having a baby before me. It's not fair!
January 7th, 2008. I was down to my last pregnancy test (out of the 4 boxes of 3 that I had bought). Sean had to work the night shift, so we got to spend the morning together. I used to take my pregnancy tests first thing in the morning because that's when the tests are supposed to be the most accurate. A minute after taking the test, Sean asked me what the results were. I gasped when I looked, and then showed it to Sean.
"Two lines means positive, right?"
"But, Sean, it hasn't been 3 minutes yet!"
"Amy, I don't think the line is going to go away. I guess this means we're pregnant."
I was extatic! I'd been wanting to have a baby since I was 18-years-old. And finally I was going to have one!
I called my OB's office and told them that I had taken an at home pregnancy test and that it had come back positive. They scheduled me for an appointment the next day to make sure.
Sean was able to come to the appointment with me (he came to all but one of them, actually). The doctor confirmed I was pregnant and that I was 5 weeks along. He warned me that the morning sickness would start soon, but I didn't care. I was having a baby!
And the very next day, the vomiting started...but that's another story.

1 comment:

esther said...

Finding out your pregnant is a very happy memory. I also had a moment of disbelief. We just bought a cheap test and I didn't believe is worked. I'm chuckling to myself as I think how you have a picture of your test.