On Sunday, I started throwing up every hour of the day and night. But, at 8:00 Monday evening, I started having a new pain. Severe upper abdominal pain. I tossed and turned in agony for 8 hours. All the while, still throwing up every hour. When Sean got up to get ready for work, he looked at me and said, "I'm taking you to the hospital when I get home." Turns out I couldn't wait that long. I called my doctor and he told me to get to the ER now! So I called my mom and she took me to be admitted.
I told the doctor that I thought it was my gallbladder. They did an ultrasound but wouldn't tell me the results. Just that I was being admitted. Finally, 7 hours after getting to the ER, Sean was able to make it to the hospital and my mom took Cali. We went up to my room and found out what was going on.
My gallbladder was full of gallstones and "sludge". So much so that at least one gallstone had escaped and was blocking the tube to my pancreas. This was causing my pancreas to become extremely inflamed. Normally, your pancreas level is supposed to be around 300, and mine was 900.
Now, this wouldn't be too big of a deal, they would just prep me for surgery and remove my gallbladder and the loose gallstones. But, since I'm pregnant, they hesitate. I'm not far enough along in the pregnancy that the baby could handle me being put under for the surgery. So they decided to keep me in the hospital and keep me hydrated so that, hopefully, the gallstone would move enough for my pancreas to be able to release some fluids and not be so inflamed.
By my third day in the hospital, my pancreas level finally went down to 390. I was finally allowed to eat solid food. I was in heaven because I hadn't thrown up since I got to the ER and was keeping fluids down. So solid foods seemed unbelievable.
On the fourth day, it was at 340. They told me that was probably as good as it was going to get and sent me home. Now I'm on a strick low fat, low sugar diet to try to keep my gallbladder in check until I reach my second trimester and can get it removed. But if I have another attack between then, I'm having emergency surgery to get it removed no matter how far along I am.
It was nice to be able to sleep in my own bed last night, but I have already thrown up since being home. :( The HG is still in full swing, even though my gallbladder isn't causing me too much pain. Only 6 more weeks till I can have surgery.
2 comments:
Holy cow!!! I was put in the hospital for a day with both of my pregnancies. That was only for my blood pressure and inactivity. I can't imagine what you are going through. Hang in there. I know that you can do it.
That is so no fun to go threw. I had Gallbladder attacks all my life until about two years ago when my gallbladder quit and I finally got to get rid of it. :) The diet is a pain to learn but sooo worth it in the end! :) I lost thirty pounds when I had to switch to the new low EVERYTHING!!! Just about diet lol... Sorry that you have to make the switch while being pregnant! That's way no fun! but glad they were smart and tried to wait to do the surgery. :)
Post a Comment